Handling Property Damage Claims

Usually, clients can handle property damage claims from car wrecks on their own, but we will help for free if they run into problems. One of the main problems people face is that the insurance company only has to make the repairs with after market parts. This can include used parts or parts not from the dealership. The theory is that the parts that were on your car were used anyway, so that is all they need to replace. A second problem is determining the value of your car. The insurance company is only required to pay the Fair Market Value for your car. This doesn’t mean replacement cost. So, if you drive an old junker that still runs great, you may not get much money for your car. Look at Kelly Blue Book and other online sources to determine value.

One of the more recent claims that adjusters are making is claiming that you only have 30 days to file a claim for property damage or diminished value. You must promptly call the insurance company about your claim. The NC Administrative Code states that “30 days shall be considered promptly asserted”. So, this does imply that beyond 30 days isn’t prompt. Just make sure that you file these claims within a month to avoid a hassle. Remember that if there is substantial damage to your vehicle to claim diminished value. When you go to buy a used car, don’t you always ask “has this car been wrecked”? This will decrease the car’s value. Usually, if you fight and demand diminished value, the insurance company will pay an additional 10% of the cost of the repairs for such reduced value.