You’ve Been Hurt at Work, What Should You Do Now?

If you’ve been injured on the job, it is very important to act quickly in order to protect your rights. Many injured workers wait to file their claims: Some because they aren’t sure their injuries are serious, and some because they fear to lose their jobs. However, waiting to file your claim can result in full denial of your benefits. Even if your claim is accepted, waiting to file can impact the benefits you’re entitled to receive. Do not delay filing a workers’ compensation claim even if you think your injuries may not be very serious.

Report Your Injury

If you are hurt at work, report the injury to your employer as soon as possible. A written accident report is best. When you report the injury, ask your employer where you should get medical treatment. If you don’t ask that question and get treatment on your own, it can have negative consequences for your case.

Complete the Necessary Paperwork

When you report your accident to your employer, some will give you a “Form 18” to fill out and send it to the North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC). A workers’ compensation claim is properly filed through providing a completed Form 18 to the NCIC. If your employer doesn’t provide one, you can contact the North Carolina Industrial Commission yourself to get one to fill out and return.

Contact Roane Law

The workers’ compensation system can be confusing, and workers’ compensation insurance companies generate more profits by denying benefits to injured workers who are entitled to them. It is crucial to reach out to a workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible after an on-the-job injury — contact Roane Law today.

Call us at (336) 790-5194 or use our message form to schedule a free consultation with our North Carolina Board-certified workers’ compensation attorney with over 20 years of experience representing injured workers.